Sunday, December 02, 2007

More Super Mario Galaxy and Smarty Pants

I'm on holiday at the moment so I've had more time to get stuck into Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm still enjoying it immensely - Nintendo has definitely captured the feel of Mario 64.

The 2nd player mode is cool, I've had my 3 year old join in for a couple of minutes at a time. She almost has the hang of pointing the remote to pick up stuff - but it doesn't quite engage her yet. However she keeps coming back to try, so I'm hoping she'll get the hang of it.

I've waited a long time to be able to play games with my kids, and what a great time to be playing!

Another game I'm playing is Smarty Pants, which is a quiz game like Buzz, but for the Wii. Unfortunately for the developers, they've assumed that the PAL territory consists solely of London. Which means that what should be a fun game grinds to a halt when you get the Sport or UK category - and have to answer a question about British soccer players or London suburbs.

I went to the options hoping you could turn off these categories, but it's not possible. That would have been a smart move seeing that they didn't localize it for Australia. Maybe they'll do this for Smarty Pants 2 - or pay a bit extra and localize it for the Aussies.

The game uses your Mii in it's user profile but oddly enough won't let you use your profile when you play in solo mode - you have to use a guest profile.

I actually bought Smarty Pants because I played it on Facebook - which has you answer ten questions then send these on to friends to try and beat your score. It then shows you how everyone rated. The Facebook version is lots of fun and quite addictive. But unfortunately this feature isn't included in the actual retail version of the game... maybe Smarty Pants 2 will fix this too.

www.passfieldgames.com

No comments: