Monday, April 10, 2017

A Unity Refresher

This week I decided to take some time off developing Billy Carts to focus on honing my Unity skills and learn more about the Unity editor. I have to admit I'm quite rusty from the time I spent away from Unity focusing on finishing up Ultra Dash, my Swift game.

And, despite having made quite a few games in my time, I'm not too proud to admit that I have a bit to learn still when it comes to Unity!!

So, rather than slogging on with Billy Carts and constantly googling "how do I do this in Unity again?" I've taken on the task of redoing some tutorials and going over some Unity resources.

As well as the excellent tutorials on the Unity site, I've also started redoing the tutorials from Ben Tristem's Learn to Code by Making Games course on Udemy.

Easy to follow video tutorials that will get you up and running in no time.

I'll also be revisiting his Game Physics - Introducing Gravitation & Rotation in Unity course to get the physics parts of my brain back into shape.

A great course to get your head around physics.

Redoing these tutorials is not only giving me a quick refresher in Unity but it's also exposing me to things I missed the first time around - like neat little short cuts and useful  keyboard commands.

My other source of reference for the next few days is the excellent Unity Games by Tutorials by the raywenderlich.com tutorial team. 
Unity Games by Tutorials book cover
These are great books to make sure you get off on the right foot.
Ray Wenderlich makes some great books that you can either buy as books or as PDFs and the cool thing is they actually update them as things change. The Unity Games book for example, has recently been updated to take into account new stuff in Unity 5.5. 

While I like to have physical books as reference next my computer to leaf through, the knowledge that the PDFs won't be out of date within a few months is a good consolation.

What are your favourite Unity learning resources? 

Any must have books or online courses that make learning Unity a breeze? 

Let me know!

-Johnno


No comments: